Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Who is Jesus? Saviour (Part 3)


2. Presence Leads to Peace

It is also helpful to realize that the presence of Christ leads to peace. Jesus was who these disciples wanted to be with. He is the one they wanted to listen to. Jesus was the Master they wanted to follow. Being with Christ must have filled these men with peace, while the prospect of losing Him might lead them into feelings of pain and loss.
            In this passage Jesus reveals that He was going to prepare a place for His disciples to dwell. After He did this He would return to them and take them back to be with Him. Knowing that they would one day be with their beloved Lord should have filled their hearts with peace, even in the midst of separation.
            At a night of prayer at our church we sang the song The River by Brian Doerksen. Some of the lyrics are as follows:
            To the river I am going bringing sins I cannot bear,
Come and cleanse me, come forgive me, Lord I need to meet you there.
In these waters, healing mercy flows with freedom from despair,
I am going, to that river, Lord I need to meet you there.
Precious Jesus, I am ready to surrender every care
Take my hand now, lead me closer, Lord I need to meet you there.
As the congregation was singing, I simply imagined myself by a beautiful river bend, surrounded by green grass on a warm day. I pictured myself meeting my Lord and Saviour there by that river. And I felt wonderful joy and peace and rest in my soul. Have you tasted the peace that the presence of Christ brings? Do you wish to know this peace for all eternity?

1 comment:

  1. thanks Jeff. I'm learning to have the peace of God in such a busy area in the city. We are so much workaholics and we just want to accomplish so much for the Lord. But God is teaching me to just rest. Learn to have peace. This is hard because this work mentalitiy teaches that we are righteous if we do so much for God...

    Maybe we gotta remind each other and encourage each other to pursue peace and just be open for mutual correction. I'm going to be open to bro and sis correcting me and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete