Friday, February 13, 2015

Faith in Focus on Mission - Showing Compassion



Earlier today I left my winter hat on a bench in Hart House at the University of Toronto. I am bald, which means that without a hat, I get cold. Really cold.

Fortunately for me, someone saw that hat and brought it to the Hart House lost and found. This unknown individual could have ignored the hat. He or she could have thrown it out, kept it as a present for her dad or chosen to wear it himself (as gross as it sounds to wear a stranger’s hat). However, moved by kindness (I presume), this hero brought my head-warmer to safety – and I am so glad that they did!

Kindness to a stranger. It is a quality that we all respect and admire. We appreciate it when we experience it and certainly demonstrate it, on occasion, to others.

This past Sunday I preached on one of the most popular parables that Jesus told: The Parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37). This story is so popular that many jurisdictions have Good Samaritan laws, which protect those who would help someone in need from being sued, should their help actually further injure the injured.

It is my desire that we at Faith in Focus have the utmost respect for Scripture, hold to orthodox theological positions, worship and seek God, experience great community and share the message of the Gospel. But I also want us to be a people who demonstrate our love, or, as Andy Stanley says, a people who put our devotion into motion.

The Samaritan gave of his time and resources to bless a man who despised him. May we always be ready to be neighbours to those in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment